Artist in Residence
The programme provides Kuwait-based artists with professional space to develop their research and creative practice, and explore new ideas. Our mission is to foster a local community, promoting dialogue and interest around the resident artist’s work through workshops and talks while encouraging public engagement, networking and artists’ mobility. Studio facilities are offered throughout the four-month residency period aimed at completing a project-based proposal. The studios are designed to be shared between 1-2 artists (provided the health regulations in place) and are equipped to work on a multidisciplinary level across different media such as photography, video-making, sculpture, crafting, digital art, painting & drawing.
Artists will be expected to:
• Occupy the studio for a minimum of 15 hours per week;
• Produce artwork to be showcased at the Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Cultural Centre;
• Develop and deliver at least 2 workshops and talks relevant to their residency project and artistic research. Workshops and talks are delivered both online and in-person;
• Participate in the Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Cultural Centre Open Studio Night and collateral events;
• Grant the Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Cultural Centre one artwork produced during their residency which will be part of the Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Cultural Centre’s core collection
Application and Selection Process:
• Applications are accepted through an Open call for submissions, which is announced on the Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Cultural Centre website and via its social media channels
• Applicants must be Kuwait-based
• One-on-one interviews with shortlisted candidates are scheduled to evaluate their proposals and commitment to the Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Cultural Centre public programmes
Season 3 starts in December 2020 Register using the following link to receive the application form.
Season 1, 2019 - Artists:
- Ahmed Muqeem
- Amani Althuwaini
- Fatma Abodoma
- Khaled Alnajdi
- Maha Alasaker
- Mahmoud Shaker
- Mohammed Alhemd
- Naseer Behbehani
- Zahra Marwan
Season 2, 2020 - Artists:
- Abdullah Alotaibi
- Ahmed Alholi
- Asrae Yazdani
- Husain Albanay
- Mishari Alnajjar
- Where does the residency take place? Due to the new COVID-19 regulations, the programme will take place in both studio facilities and online.
- Do the artists get paid? No. Artists in residence benefit from studio facilities, exposure, and curatorial mentorship.
- Does the centre provide funding and supplies? Studio facilities are equipped with tools and instruments which will aid the artist in producing their project. Depending on the proposal, materials can be implemented by the centre.
- Does the centre buy/sell work by AIR artists? No, the centre is a non-profit institution with no commercial purposes.
- Can I open the studio to third parties? Access to the studio is regulated by the Centre
For any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us at: email@example.com